Poly is invited to present at Johns Hopkins Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Research Conference.
Evan receives a fellowship through the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center NIH/NIMH T32 grant.
Lace is among only 25 neuroscientists in the nation who were selected for the prestigious NIH Outstanding Scholars in Neuroscience Award Program.
Poly is awarded the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship to investigate "Reciprocal interactions between hypogonadism and epigenetic modifications: A path for the development of personalized treatments for depression".
Dr. Gould receives promotion to full Professor of the Departments of Psychiatry, Pharmacology, and Anatomy and Neurobiology.
Lace is awarded the Elaine Miye Otani Memorial Award for outstanding character and service from the University of Maryland School of Medicine Graduate Program In Life Sciences.
Poly receives the 2020 Betty Huse Prize, for her project "Targeting of Estrogen Receptors for the Treatment of Adolescent Depression" from the Department of Psychiatry at University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Lace is awarded a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Predoctoral Fellowship from the National Institute of Mental Health.
Lace is awarded the Attillo R. and Myrtle L. Jackson Award, for "meritorious service to humanity that is continually demonstrated by on-going acts of generosity and kindness through outreach to underserved populations" by the IMSD Leadership and Meyerhoff Programs.
Poly receives the 2019 Postdoctoral Fellow Excellence in Research Award from the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Dr. Gould receives the 2019 Faculty Excellence in Postdoctoral Mentorship Award from the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Poly is promoted to Instructor in the Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Panos is promoted to Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Lace earns best poster presentation at the 2019 Society for Neuroscience Greater Baltimore Chapter Meeting.
Lace is accepted into the Society for Neuroscience Leadership Development Program.
Lace is awarded the Trainee Professional Development Award from the Society for Neuroscience.
Lace earns best poster presentation at the 2019 Department of Psychiatry Research Day.
Brent is accepted into the Ph.D. program in Neuroscience at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Lace is selected as a speaker for the Program in Neuroscience Annual Retreat.
The Gould Lab welcomes new lab members, Morris, Adele, and Sarah.
Carleigh is accepted into the M.S. program in Molecular Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Lace is awarded a training grant from the Training Program in Integrative Membrane Biology funded by the NIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences.
Jackie earns best poster presentation at the 2018 Department of Psychiatry Research Day.
Lace is a national finalist for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Gilliam Fellowship for Advanced Study.
Poly receives a 2017 Travel Award to present at the Society of Biological Psychiatry.
Panos receives a 2016 Travel Award to present at the Society of Biological Psychiatry.
Panos receives the 2017 Postdoctoral Scholar Award from the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Jackie is awarded a training grant from the Training Program in Integrative Membrane Biology funded by the NIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences.
Lace is awarded the Student of Merit training grant from the Program in Neuroscience funded by the NIH National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Dr. Gould receives the Society for Biological Psychiatry A.E. Bennett Research Award, an annual award offered in both basic science and in clinical sciences for the purpose of stimulating international research in biological psychiatry by young investigators.
Panos is featured by the University of Maryland School of Medicine, in regards to his investigations of ketamine and its metabolites for treatment-resistant depression.
- Lace discusses significance of glutamate release in ketamine's mechanisms of actions in How Ketamine Helps Alleviate Depression by Brianna Randall in Discover Magazine.
- Dr. Gould comments on the relevance of NMDA-receptor-independent ketamine mechanisms of actions in response to a recent structural study examining receptor binding in High-resolution snapshot of ketamine-receptor handshake may point to better antidepressants in Chemical & Engineering News by Alla Katsnelson.
- Dr. Gould discusses ketamine mechanisms of actions in More Than Just a Trip: Why Does Ketamine Work for Depression When Nothing Else Does? by Darisse Smith.
- Dr. Gould discusses ketamine mechanisms of actions in Ketamine is revolutionizing antidepressant research, but we still don’t know how it works in Chemical & Engineering News by Michael Torrice.
- Lace is featured in SOMnews Learning to Lead: UMSOM GPILS Student Qualifies for Exclusive Leadership Program published by the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Dr. Gould discusses new antidepressants in Antidepressants Could Herald New Era in Psychiatric Drugs by Bianca Nogrady.
- Dr. Gould discusses the use of preclinical behavioral assays in Depression Researchers Rethink Popular Mouse Swim Tests by Sara Reardon.
- Work from the Gould Lab is discussed in the NIMH Director's Message, I'm Optimistic about Depression , by Joshua Gordon.
- Dr. Gould is featured in University of Maryland School of Medicine News in UMSOM Researchers Discover a Critical Receptor Involved in the Response to Fast-Acting Antidepressants Like Ketamine by Joanne Morrison.
- Dr. Gould and Dr. Scott M. Thompson discuss the risks and rewards of intranasal S-ketamine in Listening to Ketamine from Knowable Magazine from Annual Reviews by Emily Underwood.
- Dr. Gould comments Newsweek on the Parkland and Sandy Hook Suicides: What Scientists Know About How Brain Scans Can Detect Suicide Thoughts, Risks by Adam Piore.
- Dr. Gould comments in the New York Times about Fast-Acting Depression Drug, Newly Approved, Could Help Millions .
- Dr. Gould is featured as a Faculty Spotlight in the What's On! In Brain Sciences publication.
- Dr. Gould and Dr. Scott M. Thompson are featured in SOMnews Research and Discovery about Working Together to Develop New, Rapid-acting Treatments for Depression .
- Dr. Georgiou and Dr. Gould is featured in Nature Reviews Drug Discovery about ketamine, 'Party Drug' Turned Antidepressant Approaches Approval by Sara Reardon.
- The research conducted by Poly is featured on Nature News about how Sex Matters in Experiments on Party Drug - In Mice by Sara Reardon.
- Dr. Gould is featured by Research Publishing International on a Neuroscience Research Portfolio about Fighting Depression with Ketamine .
- Dr. Gould is interviewed by Kat Arney at The Naked Scientists regarding ketamine as a Dream Depression Drug .
- Panos is interviewed by Jesse Lawler at Smart Drug Smarts about Treating Depression with Ketamine .
Zanos et al., (2016) Nature is featured throughout the news:
- Nature Podcast, Sidestepping Side Effects .
- Nature News, How Club Drug Ketamine Fights Depression by Heidi Ledford
- NIH Director's Blog, Fighting Depression: Ketamine Metabolite May Offer Benefits Without the Risks by Dr. Francis Collins.
- NIH News Release, Ketamine Lifts Depression via a Byproduct of its Metabolism .
- Discover Magazine, Ketamine and Depression: A Breakthrough? by Neuroskeptic.
- Science News, A Breakdown Product, Not Ketamine, May Ease Depression by Laura Sanders.
- Daily Mail, Secret of How Ketamine Eases Depression is Unlocked by Scientists... by Lizzie Parry.
- Chemistry World, The K Factor by Nina Notman.
- Pacific Standard, How Ketamine Cures Depression by Kate Wheeling.
- Medical Daily, Ketamine as Depression Treatment? Scientists Harness Drug's Antidepressant Benefits Without Harmful Side Effects by Ali Venosa.
- Chemical and Engineering News, Ketamine Metabolite Could Inspire Fast-Acting Antidepressants by Michael Torrice.
- STAT News, How Ketamine Eases Depression - And Why That Matters for the Drug Industry by Ike Swetlitz.
- Clinical Pharmacist, Ketamine Metabolite Relieves Depression with Fewer Side Effects .
- University of Maryland Baltimore News, SOM Researchers Study Ketamine in Depression by David Kohn.